A collection of thoughts, pictures, and videos of my global education journey.

Sunday, April 15, 2012

A Traditional Ukrainian Easter Dinner

Today is Easter in Ukraine.  That is because they follow the Ukrainian Orthodox calendar and Easter luckily fell on the day that we arrived in Kyiv!  We went to a restaurant called "Pervak" and had a traditional Easter meal.  We were served a decorated egg and a sweet bread to start with and the table was also set with the appetizers;  salads, pickled vegetables,  cabbage rolls, and bread.  We were then served several more courses of food.  The first was the Ukrainian soup called "borscht" which is made of potatoes and beets!  It was delicious, and I don't like beets! Other courses included beef, fish, and chicken dishes, along with many different vegetables.  It was all very delicious and I am stuffed!  Back in the hotel now...time to catch up on some sleep!





Pervak Restaurant
My seat at the table!
              



My first bowl of Borscht!
Stuffed cabbage and mushrooms!
                             

9 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It looks like you are getting a true experience of the culture. I'm not sure how I would do with the food, but I would definitely try it all as I'm sure you are doing. It looks like the table is very cozy with everyone so close together. Have a great time and I look forward to seeing more pictures soon!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Mrs.Hamilton! The food there looks good! Did it taste as good as it looks? (Sorry about my username...it just came up as that and I don't know how to change it.)

    ReplyDelete
  4. By the way, it was Juneau, Mrs.Hamilton.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Juneau! I am glad that you made a comment! Actually the food is good, just different! The main course last night was cabbage stuffed with ground beef and it was very tasty! The oddest thing to me is the many courses of a traditional meal. I guess that we do the same for our holiday meals but boy is it a lot of food! It is a good thing that we walk so much!! We have been very busy learning about Ukraine and seeing the historical and cultural sites in Kyiv. It has been very interesting!! Thanks for commenting!! Keep them coming and get the others to comment as well! It is nice to hear from home. Miss you guys!!

      Delete
  5. The egg is very beautiful. Is that the shell that is dyed?

    ReplyDelete
  6. That stuffed cabbage looks AMAZING! It is a favorite meal in our family (which descends from Eastern Europe!)

    ReplyDelete
  7. monica here, cruising friend from Ireland. At the time of making the comment I encountered computer problems, but it was too coincidental and since the subject of food has remained a focus, here is the comment retrospectively:
    "AMAZING, alright, insofar as we had a dinner party for 12 in our house last week and the main course I served was "Kohlrouladen" i.e. cabbage leaves stuffed with ground beef. I had not made this dish for probably twenty or more years - what a coincidence and if you liked it, I sure will make it again when you come and visit Ireland."
    Loved your experiences of the Ukraine and wish you safe travelling home monica

    ReplyDelete