A collection of thoughts, pictures, and videos of my global education journey.

Thursday, April 19, 2012

Sleeping on the Train!

The train to Zaporizhzhya

Sara and I boarded the train at 8:00 pm for our overnight ride.  We had our own compartment with two little berths and a little table.  It was really pretty comfortable and cozy!  There was a common bathroom at the end of the car which was clean but interesting. It flushed right outside onto the track!!  I posted a picture of the bathroom and the light in the center is actually the track!!  The conductor cam to wake us at 6:00 but I was already up.  The train was bumby, loud, and we made many stops so I didn't sleep very much!  I am glad that I got to experience the train ride and think that I will sleep better when we go back next week!

Package of items that they gave us
A towel, a napkin, a seat cover, and a wet wipe!

Our Train Conductor
My berth
                                                                            
                                                                 
Goes right to the track!!

9 comments:

  1. How fast does the train travel?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am not really sure. We traveled about 500 miles in 10 hours, but that was with many stops. It took a long time to slow down and restart at each stop but we seems to move along better fast in between! Using the restroom was a challenge! I had a hard time spitting in the sink when I brushed my teeth!

      Delete
  2. The morning classes have a few questions for you.

    a. Do the students have immunization requirements like we have here?

    b. Did you adjust easily to the time zone difference?

    c. What has been your favorite part of the trip so far?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A. I am not sure about immunizations but I will ask and find out!
      B. The time zone difference threw me of for a couple of days. I was also thrown off by the fact that I didn't sleep for about 36 hours. I just can't seem to sleep on planes or trains!! By the third full day, I was feeling like myself with more energy!
      C. I think that taking in the sights, sounds, and smells of a new nation and culture has been the best part. Trying new foods and listen to the people speak their language has been wonderful. It has also been fun to try to communicate with people in the restaurants and stores!! I am in a coffee shop now because we do not have WiFi in our hotel. I wanted to find out the flavor of a pudding but just couldn't figure it out! So...I just bought it and tried it. It seems to be a chocolate flavor which makes me happy! I was afraid that it would be coffee flavored!

      Delete
    2. I found out that the studetns get shots too but they get them at school. This may be a parlimentary democracy but the ideas and ways of the communist government still hangs on.

      Delete
  3. You sure put a cheerful face on things. We arrived in Simferopol this morning feeling all smug that it was a good fiteen degrees warmer than Kiev, but by evening (when we walked to the mashrutka, it was even colder than when we left! Our school is another amazing validation that it is not the facilities nor the technology that count, but the quality fo the teaching. Hope you are recovered from the bumpy night!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are so right! The teachers make all of the difference in the world. The students at our school are learning so much, with little technology. They seem to be very happy in their learning too! Have fun!!

      Delete
  4. Your train conductor looks a little like Melanie in this picture. I'm glad to see you enjoyed the ride on the train.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She does!! I hadn't thought about it! I should have her check it out!

      Delete