A collection of thoughts, pictures, and videos of my global education journey.

Sunday, March 4, 2012

March 4, 2012: Making Ukrainian Pysanky Eggs

I was very excited to learn that a workshop on making traditional Ukrainian pysanky eggs was being held at our local library yesterday.  Off I went to work with Kathleen and eleven other brave souls.  Kathleen gave us some background information on the history and cultural connection of the eggs to the Ukrainina people.  Then she walked us through the process of creating these beautiful eggs....well,at least those made by professionals and every one else!  It was a fun afternoon and I learned a great deal about a craft that I hope to see first hand while I am in Ukraine next month.  It is also one item that I want to bring back as a memento of my adventure. 
I have included pictures of my attempts to make a beautiful egg through the process. First we took a traditional kristka, which is a tool that you use to scrape honey bee wax into a tiny funnel and melt over a candle. The kristka is your "drawing tool" You then make wax lines and swirls on your egg with the kristka. When you feel that you have all of the lines that you want, you dip the egg in dye. You dry the egg, add more wax lines, and dip the egg into another color of dye. You repeat the process until you believe that you are done. The wax is then melted by holding the egg close to the candle flame and gently wiping it off. The final step is to varnish the egg. I haven't varnished mine yet....maybe it will help??







2 comments:

  1. Looks fun! An Easter project prior to your trip? How many would you have to make to have enough baskets for Easter? Just kidding...that sounds like an MAJOR project.

    I love that you are already looking for quality ways to connect with Ukrainian culture. The pictures make it look like you had some fun!

    ReplyDelete